why do we need a social insurance number


What is a Social Insurance Number (SIN)? Do I need one? The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a unique number that you use to identify yourself. It is a 9-digit number. You need this number to use some government programs. You need this number to work in Canada. You need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada. This number identifies people who:
It s a good idea to apply for your SIN as soon as you can. That way, you will have it when you need it. An employer cannot pay you if you do not have a SIN. The law in Canada says that your employer has to ask you for your SIN within 3 days after you start a job. In most cases you need a SIN to file your income taxes. In some cases, you cannot get a SIN because you are not eligible. This is the case for some temporary residents. If you cannot get a SIN, you can use an or Temporary Taxation Number (TTN) to file taxes, instead of a SIN. You do not always have to provide your SIN, even if someone asks for it. For example, banks often ask for a SIN, but you can open a bank account without having a SIN. For more information about when you need to provide your SIN and when you don t, go to Do Children Need a SIN? Children do not need a SIN unless they will earn money from a job or from an investment in their name. For example, if your child has a , your child might need a SIN. However, if your child is eligible for a SIN, you can apply for one so that it will be ready when they need it. If your baby is born in Ontario, you can apply online for a birth certificate and Social Insurance Number using the. You can use this service until your child is 1 year old.


After your child is 1 year old, you can apply for a SIN from Service Canada. – Answers to questions about the Social Insurance Number. From Service Canada. – A fact sheet on how to protect your SIN from inappropriate use, fraud or theft. – Information about when you need to show your SIN and when you don t. From the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada. Reviewed: July 2017 Your is a confidential number used for income reporting purposes. However, some organizations ask for the SIN for other reasons. The SIN is important to privacy protection. It can open the door to your personal information and can put you at risk of fraud and. What privacy risks are related to the SIN? Your SIN can be used to steal your identity. Along with other personal information, someone may be able to use your SIN to: apply for a credit card or open a bank account, rent vehicles, equipment, or accommodation in your name, leaving you responsible for the bills. How can I protect my SIN? Storing your SIN card and other documents containing your SIN in a safe place. (Do not keep your SIN card in your wallet. ) Shredding documents that contain your SIN. (Do not put them in the recycling bin. ) Providing your SIN only when itвs legally required. Taking if you believe it is being used fraudulently. When do I have to provide my SIN? There are a few federal. Some private-sector organizations must also collect the SIN for income reporting purposes. Service Canada, the federal government department responsible for the administration of the SIN, has identified some of the on its website.


Note for Quebec residents: Hydro QuГbec is required by provincial law to collect a SIN for opening new accounts. When donвt I have to provide my SIN? Some organizations ask for the SIN for reasons unrelated to income reporting purposes в often because it is a simple method of identification. While this is not recommended, there is no law preventing private-sector organizations from asking for the SIN for other purposes such as identification. In these cases, you are under no obligation to provide your SIN. Just because someone asks for your SIN, it doesnвt mean that you have to provide it. On its website, Service Canada lists some. What should I do if I am asked for my SIN? We recommend that you do not give the SIN to a private-sector organization unless there is a legal requirement to do so. If you are asked for your SIN, here are some tips: Ask if you are required by law to provide it. Ask why the person needs it, how it will be used and to whom it will be given. If it is not required by law (and you are not satisfied with the explanation), tell the person you prefer not to use the SIN and offer other identification. Your SIN is not a piece of identification If you canвt resolve your concern with front-line staff, ask for the contact information for the person in their organization who is responsible for privacy issues. This person is often called the privacy officer. Discuss your concerns with that person. В They may be able to address your issue. If the organization refuses to give you the product or service unless you give your SIN,. Remember: You canвt be denied a product or service for refusing to provide your SIN when itвs not legally required.


What obligations do businesses have under federal privacy law? We recommend that private-sector organizations not ask a customer for their SIN unless there is a legal requirement to do so. While there is no law barring businesses from asking for the SIN where there is no legal requirement to do so, they do need to make people aware that collection of a SIN is optional and not a condition of service. The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) sets out ground rules for how private sector organizations may handle personal information в including the SIN в in the course of commercial activities. Under the law, organizations cannot require you to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information unless it is required for a specific and legitimate purpose. This means that, unless an organization can demonstrate that your SIN is required by law, or that no alternative identifier would suffice to complete the transaction, you cannot be denied a product or service on the grounds of your refusal to provide your SIN. My SIN may have been compromised, what should I do? Service Canada has detailed on their website. В You may also want to take a look at our page,. How do I apply for a SIN? What should I do if I have lost my SIN? The Service Canada website has answers to general questions about the SIN such as, or. or by telephone at: 1В 800В O-Canada (1-800-622-6232). To visit one of their offices in person, see the online.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button