why do we need a carbon monoxide detector

\"\"

Regulations in most states require carbon monoxide detector installation in residential buildings and homes that use burning fuel for heat, hot water or cooking. The regulations are less certain where
is concerned because state regulations vary widely and the majority of those in force apply mainly to residential and tourist accommodations. You operate a Take a Look at Your Business Carbon monoxide detectors may not be needed if your business does not use or operate equipment that uses burning fuel or does not have enclosed areas for parking. Making sure your employees and customers are safe is your legal responsibility. A recent study by the Center indicates up to 600 workplace fatalities yearly due to accidental carbon monoxide exposure. Evaluate your business carefully to see if any area is more likely to expose your workers or customers to carbon monoxide.

\"\"

Installing a carbon monoxide detector in those areas can keep your employees from being one of the CDC 600. CO gas build-up happens quickly and often is due to operating propane-powered equipment such as forklifts or floor buffing and polishing equipment. Use of gas or propane powered equipment, even in ventilated areas, may cause hazardous levels of carbon monoxide. Check State and Federal Regulations Find out what your legal responsibilities are by checking with your state or provincial department of labor. In many cases, state laws supersede federal regulations in matters involving workplace safety. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulate issues of workplace safety and mandates maximum safe levels of CO gas indoors.

\"\"

Make an investment in safety by installing an in any area of your business where there is a risk of exposure. It is the logical solution for keeping your employees and customers safe. In case of an incident, not having detectors installed may leave your company open to fines and expensive legal actions. Even with regular maintenance and checkups, any appliance can malfunction at any time, silently emitting poisonous CO into your air with no warning. CO is a by-product of incomplete combustion of fuels like natural gas, liquid propane, coal, oil and wood. This means a defective furnace, a blocked chimney, faulty gas appliances like a water heater or range, clogged venting or a car idling in the garage can all present a serious danger to your family.

Unless, of course, you help guard your family against this threat by having at least one dependable CO detector in your home. No appliance is designed to last forever. The potential for exposure to CO is a real one, and your family could be poisoned without even knowing it. Installing a CO detector is one important way to alert your family to this potential danger. Symptoms of CO Poisoning At low level concentrations, CO can go undetected and contribute to nagging illnesses. Symptoms such as headaches and fatigue are common to illnesses such as the flu or the common cold. Things like memory loss and facial ticks are also symptoms of Low Level CO poisoning.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close