why do you have to register to vote


In order to register to vote in Ohio, you must meet these requirements:
You must be a citizen of the United States. You must be at least 18 years old on or before the next general election. You must be a resident of Ohio for at least 30 days immediately before the election in which you want to vote. You must not be currently incarcerated (in jail or prison) for a felony conviction. If you are an ex-felon and not currently incarcerated, you CAN register to vote in Ohio. You have not been declared incompetent for voting purposes by a probate court. You have not been permanently denied the right to vote for violations of election laws. Each local authority is responsible for compiling and publishing a list of voters in its area. This is called the Register of Electors or the Electoral Register. Anyone can inspect this Register and it is available in all offices, post offices, Garda stations and. You can use to check to see if you are on the Electoral Register. The published Register of Electors contains the voter\’s name, address, polling station and category of voter. If you wish to be included in the Register of Electors you must complete application form RFA and return it to your local authority. When the Register is being compiled, the application form is available to download at.


You can also get the form from the local authority. A new draft Register is compiled each year. It is published on 1 November and comes into force on 15 February of the following year. To be eligible to be included in the Register of Electors, you must: Have been ordinarily resident in the State on 1 September in the year preceding the coming into force of the Register. Students living away from home while attending college have the choice of being registered at either their home address or their student residential address. You must be registered at one address only and you must live at that address on 1 September before the register comes into force. If you live away from the address at which you are registered, you will need to contact the registration authority and give them your new address. If you leave your address but you plan to return there within 18 months, you can continue to be registered there, as long you do not register at any other address. If you need to add your name or change your entry in the draft Register, you can do this up to 25 November each year. You must fill in form RFA1 for the draft Register and send it to your.

This form is available to download at that time at. You can also get it from any post office, public library or local authority. If you are applying because you have moved to a new address, you should include this information and your former address so that you can be removed from the register for that area. The amended Register of Electors is published on 1 February each year and comes into force on 15 February. If your name is not on the Register of Electors in February, you can. You can apply at any time. However, you can only be included in the supplement used at an election or referendum if your local authority receives your application at least 15 days before polling day. Sundays, public holidays and Good Friday are not counted as days for this purpose. For the, the local authority must receive your application by Tuesday 8 May. You are eligible for inclusion in the supplement to the Register of Electors on or after the day on which you reach 18 years of age. You can be included if this birthday falls after the closing date for applications but is on or before polling day. If you are in this situation, it is advisable to enclose a copy of your or similar document with your application.

If you have changed address, you. This will also remove you from the register for your previous address. Local authorities publish 2 versions of the Register of Electors: the full register and the edited register. The Full Register lists everyone who is entitled to vote. Once a Full Register has been published, it can only be used for an electoral or other statutory purpose. The Edited Register contains the names and addresses of those voters who have indicated that their details can be used for other purposes (for example, for direct marketing use by a commercial company or other organisation). If you do not want your details to be included in the Edited Register, you should tick the \’out\’ option box on the registration form. If you want your details to be included in the Edited Register, that is, you are happy that commercial companies and other organisations will contact you with direct marketing, you should tick the \’in\’ option box. If these boxes are both left blank your details will not appear on the Edited Register. Under of the, it is an offence for an organisation or commercial body to contact someone from the full electoral register for direct marketing purposes. Find out more about.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button